a four-acre parcel at 202 Taconic Road came on the market, which was not adequate for an enlarged church facility but was ideal in every other way. The “Friends” agreed to purchase the property and hold it until an adjacent parcel became available, leaving the timing and financing in God’s hands. Only a few months later, an adjacent lot at 190 Taconic Road became available, but it was being sought by a local developer and beyond the capacity of the “Friends” to purchase. Purely out of obedience to the possibility that this might be God at work, an announcement was made from the pulpit that a new set of “Friends” was needed if we were to secure this land for Stanwich before it sold. Amazingly, the phones began to ring the next day, and within a week, a second group of “Friends” had successfully contracted for the property. When the congregation was called together to be updated about God’s remarkable provision of land, they prayed together and voted unanimously in favor of building a new church.
Plans were designed
to nestle the church among the mature trees on the property and recreate the ambiance of the original Stanwich hamlet of 1731. It would welcome twice as many worshippers without sacrificing the intimacy and holiness of the existing sanctuary. It would retain the glorious play of light on the altar wall through triple-hung windows, and would retain the quiet and holy focus of communing with God by keeping the altar wall free of all adornment except the cross. Additional areas for Christian education, fellowship and offices would continue the historic style of separate buildings in a community setting by attaching buildings of slightly different roof lines around a simple, open-air cloister. While the entire facility would be built to look old, it would house state-of-the-art technology and safety features, and would provide handicap access to all areas. The beautiful iron bell, whose deep, rich tone had been ringing at Stanwich since 1926, would be moved into the new steeple to continue the long tradition of welcoming worshippers, visitors and friends.
Of course this wonderful plan
had a significant cost. We needed a miracle, but with God, nothing is impossible. Through His amazing blessings, the Let the Light Shine capital campaign received pledges and sacrificial support from the congregation and friends of Stanwich, and from organizations and friends Stanwich had helped in the past.
was completed in 2006. The congregation gathered for a consecration service on April 1, and the following day celebrated the first Sunday worship service in our new sanctuary. What a joyous time for Stanwich, and an amazing privilege to experience God’s power at work.
God’s plan for Stanwich
is so much bigger than we ever imagined. Within our walls He has assembled a growing congregation with diverse talents and gifts, each playing a key role in the life of a back-country church that continues to step out boldly in faith to build His kingdom. Now we have received this amazing blessing of a beautiful new building right down the street from our original site. As we continue this next chapter of our history with gratitude and joy, we ask God to bless us with renewed faith, so that Stanwich will continue to be a light not only in the back country of Greenwich but in South End of Stamford and beyond. That light is the love of Jesus Christ, and it will never go out.